Monday, June 25, 2012

Day 3: Love is Not Selfish

There was a Janet Jackson song back in the 80s or 90s titled "What has He Done for You Lately". It seemed like the perfect 'ditch your loser boyfriend' type song. The thing is that when you decide to get married you can't just 'ditch' your husband because he has decided not to be romantic or has changed. We all change as we age. If we didn't then you'd see some messed up 50 and 60 year olds. Okay, so maybe not EVERYONE changes.

We need to look at what we expect from ourselves and what we expect from our spouses. I know I would love for him to do romantic things like arrange a babysitter and whisk me off for the weekend. But all he wants is clean underwear and a clean kitchen. Why should I expect him to want to do for me if I don't do those things for him? Because I'm selfish and I make excuses to not have it done.

So it's time to take a step back and ask:
-Do I want what's best for my husband?
-Do I want them to know I put them first?
-Do I want them to feel loved and know that I have their best interests at heart?

It is said that an outsider looking into our lives won't ask us what is important to us. They will simply take a look at what we are investing our money, time and energy into. THAT is what is truly important to us whether we realize it or not.

Today's Challenge: No negative talk. Buy or make something for your husband that let's them know they were on your mind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment