Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 2: Love is Kind

Yesterday was pretty easy because we have better days than we used to. Today is all about being kind. I'll fess up to the fact that kindness is a struggle for me more often than it should be. Until I read this chapter on kindness I never really understood the true meaning. Kindness is something that we should all be taught. I have decided that I am going to spend all of July teaching my children about kindness, love, respect and responsibility. (That's for another topic.)

The best quote from the Love Dare is "Patience avoids a problem; kindness creates a blessing."

Be gentle. This means with our actions as well as with our words. When we need to express ourselves we should keep our voices and tones gentle. This is just as much a struggle for me as for anyone else.

Be helpful. This means washing laundry so that everyone has clean underwear. Or like in my husband's case, he fixed my brakes on my car.

Be willing. I look at this as wanting to find a way to communicate with our spouse rather than yelling AT them. What happens when we don't listen to the other person and simply demand our way? They feel attacked and tune us out at well. If we're willing to listen to them then they will be more open to us.

Take the initiative. Even though he's not bringing us flowers or searching us out as soon as he comes home I am planning to be the one to go to him. Even on the days I would rather not be the one to search him out, I am going to learn kindness and take the first steps.


Today's Challenge: Say nothing negative to your spouse AND do at least 1 unexpected kind gesture for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment